Saturday, July 21, 2012

This morning's song: St. Francis' prayer

This morning I clearly heard the refrain of the song created from the prayer of St. Francis:

Oh Master grant that I may never seek
So much to be consoled as to console
To be understood as to understand
To be loved as to love with all my soul.


Today's message was definitely the refrain of the song. In fact, it wasn't until after hearing it softly rolling through my head for 15 minutes that I began to hear the beginning of the song:

Make me a channel of your peace.
It is in pardoning that we are pardoned,
In giving of ourselves that we receive,
And in dying that we're born to eternal life.

I attended a memorial service last evening for a dear family friend who died suddenly and totally unexpectedly last week. We celebrated her life with a service at St. Martin's Lutheran church in Austin and then a small group went to El Gallo restaurant in Austin to remember our joyful times with this special lady.  My husband and I used to regularly join my parents and their friends on Friday nights at one of three local Mexican restaurants. Boy did we have fun!!! The stories, laughter and dear friendships that developed over enchiladas, margaritas, Mexican martinis and mariachi singers are priceless. Last night was no exception. While we were sad, we banded together, young and old, ate and drank, consoled one another, told fun stories and reflected upon her joyous vivacious spirit. Annette, we miss you!!

Funny that this morning's message wasn't either of the two hymns sung at Annette's service: How Great Thou Art and Amazing Grace. It wasn't any of the songs I heard on my ipad I listened to yesterday afternoon. There were many options, but only one crystal clear message. So today, I send you consolation for your sorrows, understanding for your trials and love for your day.


P.S. Two years ago today I lost my precious Oma, my 98-year old grandmother. She was with me yesterday, her 77th wedding anniversary, as yesterday's service was in the church she and my grandfather attended their entire adult lives....where my grandfather used to sing solos regularly with his robust baritone voice. So here's to you also, Oma and Opa! Know you are enjoying being together again after being apart for 17 physical years. This pic is of Oma (center), my mom (left) and me at another joyous family outing.

1 comment:

  1. Love this post , Deb! Beautiful prayer, one of my favorites! Beautiful message, and beautiful photo!

    ReplyDelete